Grill starts house fire in Lake Forest

A quick-acting lake Forest resident called 911 when his grill started on fire at 7 p.m. on Saturday, averting what fire officials say could have been a disaster.

Firefighters arrived five minutes after the initial call to the home in the 900 block of Longwood Road and found the back third of the two-story frame house in flames.

The grill, which was up against the house, was sitting on a patio.

Responders pulled a one and three-quarter-inch fire line to the back of the house and had the fire under control six minutes after they arrived but remained on the scene to remediate smoke that got into the attic and to board up a window so the residents could remain in the home.

“It was a good stop,” Deputy Fire Chief Chris Garrison said. “They kept the fire from penetrating the interior of the home. This is one that could’ve gotten away.”

Fire personnel have determined the cause of the fire to be the grill.

“If there was a faulty part on that or not we don’t know,” Garrison said.

The grill is too far damaged for any further investigation, he said.

Family members and a guest were outside when the fire started.

“The homeowner tried to push the grill away and couldn’t, and wisely called 911 immediately,” Garrison said.

Twelve firefighters from Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, North Chicago, Highwood and Deerfield responded. The scene was cleared in two hours.

No one was hurt in the incident.

Garrison cautions residents to place grills and similar equipment away from a structure.

“They got lucky on this one,” he said. “The guys made a great attack.”

A Lake Forest Fire Department press release estimates the loss at $25,000 and savings of $765,000.

0 Comments

Modal